Thursday, 21 February 2013

The Ascension David’s hermitage and its Talezh metochion / Вознесенская Давидова пустынь и ее Талежское подворье

On the way view, Ascension David’s hermitage
On the way view / Попутный пейзаж 

According to D.N. Ushakov dictionary, a hermitage is “a secluded place, inhabited by an anchorite, later a monastery in a remote location.

Today the closest town to the Ascension David’s hermitage is Chekhov (20km). At the time of its foundation, it was Serpukhov (30km).
Пустынь, согласно словарю Д.Н. Ушакова,  – это «уединенное место, где живет отшельник, позже монастырь, возникший в безлюдной местности».

Сегодня ближайший город к Вознесенской Давидовой пустыни, - Чехов (20 км), а во времена ее основания (1515) – Серпухов (30 км).
Ascension David’s hermitage
Ascension David’s hermitage / Вознесенская Давидова пустынь
David’s hermitage was founded by the Reverend David (?-1529), who devoted most of his life to monastic service. In addition to himself, there were only two monks and two novices.

The Reverend David is known for demonstrating the power of prayer;   he dug up wild lime-trees in the forest and replanted them with their roots up. The lime-trees grew and even formed a small grove.

Additionally,  there are stories on the Reverend David's miraculous healing of body ailments of some local residents. 
Давидову Пустынь основал преподобный Давид (?-1529), большую часть своей жизни посвятивший монашескому служению. Братии с ним было два монаха да два послушника.

Преподобный Давид известен тем, что демонстрировал силу молитвы тем, что сажал около монастыря, выкопанные в лесу липы вверх корнями. Липы эти прижились и даже составили небольшую рощицу.

Также имеются сведения о чудесных исцелениях телесных недугов, дарованных преподобным Давидом нескольким местным жителям.
St. Nicolas church, Ascension David’s hermitage
St. Nicolas church / Церковь Николая чудотворца
Today the monastery complex can boast a fresh restoration of both its exterior and interior, though initially all the monastery buildings were wooden.

There are about 150 relics of saints in the monastery. Public worship is conducted daily. One of the churches is always open for visitors. The entrance to the monastery is free.
Сегодня монастырский комплекс может похвастаться свежей реставрацией как внешней так и внутренней отделки, хотя изначально все постройки монастыря были деревянные.

В ведение монастыря находится около 150 частиц мощей святых угодников.  Службы проводятся ежедневно. Для посетителей всегда открыта одна из церквей. Вход на территорию монастыря свободный.
Ascension Cathedral, Ascension David’s hermitage
Ascension Cathedral /  Вознесенский собор
The construction of the first stone churches – the Cathedral of the Ascension and Dormitory church – started during Ivan the Terrible’s (1530-1581) reign. However, it was not finished. 

By the order of Patriarch Nikon (1605-1681) both outstanding and dilapidated churches were dismantled and rebuilt (1676-1682).
Строительство первых каменных храмов, - Собора Вознесения Господня и церкви Успения Богородицы, было начато еще при царе Иване Грозном (1530-1581), однако так и не было закончено.

По приказу Патриарха Никона (1605-1681) обе незавершенные и обветшалые постройки были разобраны и отстроены заново (1676-1682).
Belfry, Ascension David’s hermitage
Belfry / Колокольня
Ivan the Terrible granted several nearby villages and adjoined lands to the monastery. By the 1725, there were about 500 serfs in the monastery's possession. However, in 1764 (under the Act “On monasteries' lands secularisation”) all land and serfs were taken into state ownership. Meanwhile the monastery was in declining because of the financial difficulties.

In 1798 the monastery became state-funded. It is notable, that prior to the transition, the brethren had only received meal and shelter from the monastery. And they had to work to buy cloth and personal belongings. Those items and the earnings were their personal property. After the state interference, the monks lost the property rights, and all the brethren's well-being was entrusted to the administration of the monastery. The brethren's labour was not paid.
Иван Грозный пожаловал монастырю несколько окрестных сел с примыкающими к ним землями. К 1725 году во владении монастыря насчитывалось около 500 крепостных крестьян. Однако уже в 1764 (Указ о секуляризации монастырских землевладений) все земли и крепостные были изъяты в пользу государства, а монастырь, ввиду финансовых затруднений, начал приходить в упадок и запустение.

В 1798  году монастырь взят на государственное финансирование. Примечательно, что до этого перехода  насельники монастыря получали кров и пищу. На одежду и предметы личного обихода они должны были зарабатывать самостоятельно. Эти предметы, в т.ч. и денежные средства находились в их личной собственности. После вмешательства государства монахи лишились права личной собственности, а все заботы о благосостоянии братии перешли к монастырской администрации. Труд насельников не оплачивался.
Refectory, Ascension David’s hermitage
Refectory / Трапезная
The refectory (1897-1899) and the Cathedral of our Saviour (1900) could be attributed to the monastery’s golden age, which was a result of caused a substantial rise in   donations and the purchase of a brick works (1888), which more than compensated the needs of the monastery.
Трапезную (1897-1899) и Спасский Собор (1900) можно отнести к периоду расцвета  монастыря. Причиной чему послужил значительный рост пожертвований и покупка кирпичного завода (1888), который с лихвой покрывал монастырские нужды.
Cathedral of our Saviour, Ascension David’s hermitage
Cathedral of our Saviour / Спасский собор
By the beginning of the 20th century, the monastery established a hotel for pilgrims, a house for eldery men, a primary school, and a hospital.  Its library with nearly 500 volumes, moved into a new sacristy, technical part and decoration of the churches was replaced. Additionally, a new bath with an underground tunnel from the monastery was built on the bank of the river Loposnya.
К началу 20 века при монастыре была организована гостиница для паломников, дом для старцев, начальная школа и больница. Монастырская библиотека, насчитывавшая до 500 томов переехала в новую ризницу, техническое оснащение и убранство церквей обновлено, а на реке Лопасне даже была устроена баня с подземным проходом из монастыря.
Cemetry entrance, Ascension David’s hermitage
Cemetry entrance / Вход на кладбище
After the closure of the monastery in 1929, its premises passed to an agricultural college. There was also  a hostel, club, and a canteen. Some of the brethren were repressed, others dispersed themselves, while others fled. The gravestones of the monastery cemetery were used for the construction of a new college hostel.
После закрытия монастыря в 1929 году его помещения были переданы сельхозтехникуму. Здесь же было организовано общежитие, клуб и столовая. Часть монахов репрессирована, остальные разошлись сами. Надгробные плиты с монастырского кладбища были использованы при строительстве нового корпуса общежитий техникума.
Smorodinka river, Talezh metochion of Ascension David’s hermitage
Smorodinka river, Talezh  / Речка Смородинка , Талеж
A metochion of the Ascension David’s hermitage with a spring named in honour of the reverend David is situated in 30 km from the monastery in the village of Talezh.

Talezh was mentioned in historical documents as early as in 1339, which was long before the monastery’s foundation (1515). It is also known, that the spring in Talezh was connected to the rituals of the ancient Slav religion of paganism.
В деревне Талеж в 30 км от Давидовой Пустыни находится подворье монастыря с источником, названным в честь преподобного Давида.

Тем не менее, Талеж упоминается в исторических документах еще в 1339 году, задолго до основания монастыря (1515). Также известно, что  талежский источник издревле был связан с ритуалами древней религии славян, - язычеством.
Rev. David's church, Talezh metochion of Ascension David’s hermitage
Rev. David's church, Talezh / Церковь преподобного Давида, Талеж
A scale restoration of David’s hermitage and its metochion in the post Soviet period started (1995) under the Father-Superior German (1965-2005), who was killed later in his own cell in unknown circumstances. Considerable donations and assistance were received by the monastery from a businessman Anton Malevskiy (1967-2001) and the head of Chekhov region Gennady Nedoseka (1965-2004).
Масштабное восстановление Давидовой Пустыни и ее подворья в постсоветский период началось (1995) при Игумене Германе (1965-2005), убитом в последствии в собственной келье при невыясненных обстоятельствах. Значительные пожертвования и содействие монастырю были оказаны бизнесменом Антоном Малевским (1967-2001) и главой Чеховского района Геннадием Недосека (1965-2004).
Plunge pool bathhouse, Talezh metochion of Ascension David’s hermitage
Plunge pool bathhouse, Talezh / Купель, Талеж
The temperature of the spring is about +4 Celsius. The adjacent area is well-maintained. The spring is full-flowing; even if the place is overcrowded, the queue goes fast.

There are two plunge pools bathhouses supplied by the spring water. Men and women plunge separately. It is necessary to have a towel. However, there are contraindications, so one should consult with a doctor before visiting the plunge pools.
Температура источника около +4 по Цельсию. Прилежащая территория благоустроена. Источник полноводный и даже при большом скоплении народа очередь идет быстро.

Водой источника снабжаются две купели. Купание мужчин и женщин раздельное. Необходимо взять с собой полотенце. Однако, есть и противопоказания, поэтому перед посещением купелей необходимо проконсультироваться у врача.
Plunge pool, Talezh metochion of Ascension David’s hermitage
Plunge pool, Talezh / Купель, Талеж
There are visible changes in people’s mood after plunging. They radiate joy, amplified vigour, vitality, and benevolence. It is believed, that the spring aids in procreation and the continuation of the family.
После посещения купели очень заметны позитивные перемены в настроении людей. От них веет радостью, ощущается подъем жизненных сил, энергичность и благожелательность. Считается, что источник помогает в деторождении и продолжении рода.






No comments:

Post a Comment