Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Zvenigorod / Звенигород

Gorodok, Zvenigorod
Gorodok / Городок
According the most recent archaeological findings, Zvenigorod is usually dated in the mid-12th century. However, it is known for certain that the surrounding area had already been populated by the 2nd century B.C. 

The centre of ancient Zvenigorod – Gorodok – was enclosed with the ramparts, which are still visible.  Gorodok itself, with the exclusion of the church of the Assumption of the Mother of God (1399), has not survived There are fresco paintings in the church, which are allegedly by the hand of famous Russian painter Andrey Rublev. 


Within its golden age period, the town was twice raided by the Golden Horde (1382, 1408)
.
Согласно последним археологическим находкам Звенигород принято относить к середине 12 века н.э. Однако, доподлинно известно, что его окрестности уже были заселены ко 2 веку до н.э. 

Центр древнего Звенигорода - Городок – был обнесен валами, которые видны и по сей день. Сам Городок не сохранился, за исключением церкви Успения Богородицы (1399). Считается, что фрески храма принадлежат руке известного русского мастера Андрея Рублева. 


В период своего расцвета город дважды пережил нашествия Ордынских ханов (1382, 1408).

The Moscow River, Zvenigorod
The Moscow River / Москва-река
Since olden times Zvenigorod had been a patrimonial land of the Rurik dynasty. However, from the mid-15th century it had repeatedly been inherited by the offspring of the tsar’s family who had never managed to get to the throne. The last of them, a feudal prince and cousin Vladimir Staritskiy (1533-1569) was executed by Ivan the Terrible (1530-1584). It took Zvenigorod a long time to rid itself of the disgrace. There and then the town was granted to a Tatar Khan, who just had been in service with the Russian sovereign. Then it was raided by Polish- Lithuanian troops several times (1605, 1607, 1618).
Звенигород издавна был вотчиной династии Рюриковичей, однако, с середины 15 в. доставался он тем отпрыскам царской фамилии, которые так и не смогли взойти на престол. Последний из них, - удельный князь и двоюродный брат царя Владимир Старицкий (1533-1569) был казнен Иваном Грозным (1530-1584). Но еще долго земля Звенигорода не могла оправиться от опального статуса. Город тут же был пожалован татарскому хану, перешедшему на службу к русскому государю, а затем несколько раз разорен польско-литовскими войсками (1605, 1607, 1618).

Savvino-Storozhevskiy monastery, Zvenigorod
Savvino-Storozhevskiy monastery / Саввино-Сторожевский монастырь
Only when the dynasty changed to the House of Romanov (1613-1917) did Zvenigorod return Royal favour and the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery (1398) around the town  became a place of Royal pilgrimage.

Thanks to the Romanovs that the monastery acquired most of the buildings. The buildings of the earlier period, including the church of St. Sergius (Radonezhskiy), which had suffered from the Polish-Lithuanian pillage, were no longer restored, but used as building materials for the new construction works.

И только со сменой царствующей династии на Романовых (1613-1917) Звенигород снова был обласкан царским вниманием, а Саввино-Сторожевский монастырь (1398) в окрестностях города был объявлен местом царского богомолья.

Именно благодаря Романовым монастырь приобрел большую часть построек. Здания же более раннего периода, в том числе и церковь Сергия Радонежского, пострадавшие во время польско-литовского разграбления, более не восстанавливалась, а использовалась в качестве строительного материала для новых сооружений.
Gate church fresco, Savvino-Storozhevskiy monastery, Zvenigorod
Gate church fresco, Savvino-Storozhevskiy monastery / Фреска надвратной церкви, Саввино-Сторожевский монастырь
It is notable that in the three years prior to the establishment of a new dynasty, Filaret of Rostov (1554-1633) - the father of the sovereign to be and an active politician negotiated the transfer of the Russian throne to Poland with King Sigismund III. The negotiations failed, and Filaret was captured. However, 8 years later he was freed and instantly headed the Russian Orthodox Church in the Holy order of Patriarch upon return from Poland.
Примечательно, за три года до установления новой династии отец будущего государя, активный политический деятель и митрополит Ростовский Филарет (1554-1633) вел переговоры с польским королем Сигизмундом III о передаче Российского престола Польше. Переговоры потерпели неудачу и Филарет был пленен. Однако, через 8 лет и практически сразу после освобождения из польского плена Филарет возглавил Русскую Православную церковь в сане Патриарха.
Belfry, Savvino-Storozevskiy monastery, Zvenigorod
Belfry, Savvino-Storozevskiy monastery / Колокольня, Саввино-Сторожевский монастырь
A later episode from the monastery history and the Zvenigorod region dates back to the establishment of the Soviet power. In 1918, due to the authorities’ attempt to requisition of the monastery's food reserves - at that time the monastery was the main financial and commercial lender to the local peasantry - started a peasants’ revolt in the Zvenigorod area. The uprising was rapidly suppressed. The monastery’s Father-Superior, a number of clergymen and locals were arrested, the monastery was closed, and its property was passed to secular institutions.

Between 1950-1980, the monastery was considerably restored, and in 1995 it was officially returned to the Church. Currently, there is also a museum on its territory.
Более поздний эпизод из истории монастыря и Звенигородского края относится ко времени установления советской власти в регионе.  В 1918 году из-за решения властей о реквизиции продовольственных запасов монастыря - основного финансово-товарного ­кредитора местного крестьянства - в Звенигородском районе вспыхнуло крестьянское восстание. Бунт был быстро подавлен. Игумен монастыря, ряд  священнослужителей и местных жителей были арестованы, монастырь закрыт, а его имущество передано светским организациям.

В период 1950 -1980г. в монастыре проводится значительная реставрационная работа, а в 1995 монастырь официально возвращен церкви. В настоящее время на его территории действует краеведческий музей. 
Window sutters
Window shutters / Ставни
Window openings were tightly shuttered. Competing with other means of protection from the elements, the tradition of using shutters is still alive today. Modern large windows in peasants’ huts and boyar’s houses appeared not so long ago. Mica, bovine and fish bladders had been used instead of glass until the second half of the 17th century.
Современные большие окна в крестьянских избах и боярских домах появились не так уж давно. До второй половины 17 века вместо стекол использовали слюду, бычьи и рыбьи пузыри. Оконные проемы же наглухо закрывались ставнями. Конкурируя c иными средствами зашиты от внешней среды, эта традиция жива и поныне.
Monument to A.P.Chekhov / Памятник А.П. Чехову
An original monument to the famous Russian writer and classic of world literature Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (1860-1904) is set in Zvenigorod's centre. While still unknown, the writer arrived in the town upon graduation from university and spent the next two years of his life (1884-1886) in Zvenigorod .
Оригинальный памятник знаменитому российскому писателю и классику мировой литературы Антону Павловичу Чехову (1860-1904) установлен в центре Звенигорода. Писатель приехал в город по окончании университета еще не будучи известным литератором и прожил в городе около 2-х лет (1884-1886).
Zvenigorod hospital unit
Zvenigorod hospital unit / Отделение Звенигородской больницы
During his residence in Zvenigorod, Chekhov worked in the town's hospital. Its facilities are still in use serving the needs of the residents of Zvenigorod. The nearby writer’s house has also survived up to the present day.
В Звенигороде Чехов работал в городской больнице, которая не утратила своих функций и по сей день исправно обслуживает местных жителей.  Сохранился и дом писателя, расположенный в непосредственной близости от больницы.
Zvenigorod pine forest
Pine forest / Сосновый бор


From the 19th century Zvenigorod became a popular spa resort. The beauty of the nature, clean air, and mineral springs attract multitudes of summer residents and holiday-makers to the region.

The resort received a new impetus during the Soviet period. Part of the estate requisitioned in the revolution was converted into holiday homes and hospitals. However, it was only on the eve of WW2, when a number of new recreational centres had been built, that tourism in the region reached mass scale. About a third of them are still operational today, standing in tough competition with overseas spa resorts after the Iron Curtain fall.

С 19 века Звенигород становится популярным бальнеологическим курортом. Красота природы, чистый воздух и минеральные источники привлекают множество дачников и отдыхающих в его окрестности.

В советский период развитие курорта получает новый импульс. Часть реквизированных в ходе революции поместий переоборудуется под дома отдыха и лечебные учреждения. Однако туризм в регионе становится массовым только перед   началом второй мировой войны, когда было построено множество новых оздоровительных центров. Около трети из них продолжают функционировать и сегодня, устояв в жесткой конкуренции с зарубежными здравницами после падения Железного Занавеса.
Moskovskaya - main Zvenigorod street
Moskovskaya - main Zvenigorod street / Московская - центральная улица
The WW2 front line came close to Zvenigorod, but the town succeeded in its defence. Miraculously, no single shell fell on the territory of the Savvino-Storozhevskiy monastery. There is a legend that a reverend monk Savva guards the monastery in rough times.

As far back as the Napoleonic invasion (1812) Savva appeared to the French general Beauharnais with a plea not to plunder the monastery in exchange for life after the war. And though the General could not fully protect the monastery property, its sacred relics were left untouched. In his turn Beauharnais returned from the war among about 10% who survived out of more than half a million of Napoleon’s Grande Armée.

В Великую Отечественную линия фронта вплотную приблизилась к Звенигороду, но город удалось отстоять. Удивительно, но ни один снаряд не упал на территорию Саввино-Сторожевского монастыря. Существует легенда, по которой преподобный Савва охраняет монастырь от невзгод.

Еще в период наступления Наполеона (1812) Савва являлся французскому генералу Богарне с просьбой не расхищать монастырь в обмен на жизнь после окончания войны. И хотя генерал не смог уберечь все имущество обители нетронутым, ее святыни не пострадали. Богарне же вернулся с войны невредимым в числе примерно 10% уцелевших из более чем полумиллионной Великой Армии Наполеона.
Kupriyanov ceramic, Zvenigorod
Kupriyanov ceramic / Керамика Куприяновых
There is a workshop of the famous ceramists Kupriyanovs in the town. Their works are world-known and often exhibited in Russian and overseas galleries. A number of private and public Zvenigorod buildings are decorated with the workshop produce.
В Звенигороде находится мастерская знаменитых художников-керамистов Куприяновых. Их работы известны в во многих странах мира и выставляются в российских и зарубежных галереях. Ряд частных и общественных зданий Звенигорода украшены изделиями мастерской.
Development trend, Zvenigorod
Development trend / Тренд в строительстве
Today Zvenigorod is a fast developing town with large volumes of housing and infrastructure construction. Unfortunately, under pressure from the industry, the historical legacy of the town and its provincial charm is gradually evaporating along with the value of the town's present and future assets
Сегодня Звенигород – быстро развивающийся город со значительными объемами строительства жилья и объектов инфраструктуры. К сожалению, исторический облик города постепенно стирается, а его провинциальное очарование  теряется под напором новостроек, что безусловно обесценивает его настоящие и будущие активы.






No comments:

Post a Comment